Apply | Match | Progress
We’re excited to be launching MYP Mentoring, a free and accessible cross industry initiative, pairing like minded individuals at different stages of their careers.
With such a dynamic and diverse young professionals community, and given the current environment, we feel that now is the ideal time to bring the MYP community closer together than ever before, to build up your network and develop one another in the process.
To register your interest, all you need to do is complete the simple sign up form at the bottom of this page by Friday 22nd January. You can apply to be a Mentor, Mentee or both depending on what stage of your career that you’re in. Whether you’re a Trainee or an Undergraduate, Associate or Director, there will be opportunities to develop and also to learn from others in the MYP community.
To ensure we are doing everything to provide the best possible matches, we’ll be using a free online Personality Questionnaire (this only takes 15 minutes to complete) alongside individual objectives and personal circumstances.
How does it work?
Each mentee will be assigned a mentor who they have something in common with, be it sector, degree background, university or outside of work interests.
They will be able to offer specific advice, led by the objectives of the mentee, through regular email contact, monthly video/phone calls and in time, face to face catch ups. Potential areas to cover include:
– Career progression advice.
– Networking advice and building connections within and outside one’s industry.
– Application/interview advice.
– Sales advice.
– Support with building development plans.
Our first intake of MYP Mentoring will take place January-June 2021, with the opportunity to extend the pairing on an informal basis beyond this date.
Whilst we will try our best to pair up everyone who applies, places might be limited in this intake depending on the number of Mentor and Mentee applications. Don’t worry if you miss out though, as the next application window will open again in July.
Why apply to become an MYP Mentor?
– A chance to support and impact the future development of Manchester’s young professionals community.
– Progress your diversity and inclusion aspirations.
– Connect with a select group of influential mentors in the Manchester region, opening up key introductions through a dedicated private LinkedIn Mentor group.
Why apply to be a mentee?
– Be connected with a likeminded progressive individual, who can help you with first hand advice from their career.
– Coaching you to navigate short term and long term objectives in current and prospective future roles.
– Grow your network and build key long term connections through a dedicated private LinkedIn Mentee group.
Once you apply through the website, time will be spent pairing and allocating a Mentor or Mentee that is aligned with your circumstances, ensuring that you both meet your overall objectives.
A combination of industry, education background, university, outside of work interests and your respective objectives will all be taken into account, as well as the outcome of the Personality Questionnaire.
– Application window open 12th-22nd January. Please ensure you complete the Personality Questionnaire as part of this.
– Mentor/Mentee pairings announced via email w/c 1st February, with a dedicated MYP point of contact throughout the initiative.
– 5 month Mentoring cycle until June 2021.
– Mentor & Mentee webinars to take place on 3rd & 4th February, hosted by Jessica Nield, Senior Careers Consultant at Alliance Manchester Business School.
– Expectation of monthly 30-60 minute calls.
– In time face to face catch ups as well as email contact.
Goals will be set out at outset, together with smaller sub goals each month to enable the overall target goal to be reached.
Pearson Career Courses
As part of MYP Mentoring, we’re looking forward to working closely with Pearson to bring you their brand new Career Courses for free!
If you’re looking to develop more specific career skills, including Managing Projects, Negotiation, Innovation & Commercial Awareness to name just a few, this could be just for you. These self-paced courses take 12-16 hours to complete, featuring real-world projects and a dedicated mentor to get you the experience you need in 4 weeks or less.
For more information on the courses (normally £299), check out the link here.